Easter - 2018

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Love Acts...."

I wonder how many of us need love and yet mask it in a happy face and plugging away in a daily routine. I had the great joy of meeting with some good people yesterday. They were dedicated to their cause yet had been in a struggle with "how" to make it through. I found they truly needed some direction, enthusiasm, and encouragement...a little love. It reminded me of this Jeral Williams story:

OUR mentally disabled friend Harry sits beside us in church. One Sunday, my wife and I stood to sing one of the great old hymns of the church. Harry did not stand because he did not know the words. When he knows the words, he stands and sings loudly - and usually off-key.

In the pew behind us, a woman began to cry as we sang the hymn. Not wanting to embarrass her, we worshipers around her pretended that we did not notice her tears. That is, all of the worshipers except one. Harry got up, went back to the woman, and gave her a warm hug. It was one of the most touching acts of compassion I have ever witnessed.

Harry may be limited in some ways, but he taught me something about the power of love. Love acts when someone is in pain.

May we never forget or get to distracted by our own agenda that love is not our main focus. 1 John 4:7 (NRSV) states, "let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God."

You know I love ya, Don

No comments: