Easter - 2018

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Heaven!


1Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever. 6The angel said to me, "These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place." Revelation 22:1-6


What is Heaven like? This is probably one of the most asked questions in all of history. "Heaven is a wonderful place, filled with glory and grace" is what we used to singing in Children's church. There is also all that pearl and gold, fellow Christ-followers will be there, Jesus will be there and we will be filled with abundance for the rest of eternity.

I just finished a book by Anne Graham Lotz titled, "The cry of my heart". I highly recommend it. In the final chapters she talked about how "we" as a culture seek the eternal fountain of life. Yet, Jesus offers us eternal youth as a follower of Him. All we have to do is ask. The bigger question is do we truly desire more of Jesus? Heaven is going to be all about Jesus and what we do in this life will define how we spend the next.

I also recall Joni Eareckson Tada comment on heaven. Joni was asked what she most looked forward to when she arrived in Heaven. Of course, as listeners we all expect to hear that she will receive new legs and arms and then leap up to run and play...but that is not what she is most looking forward to. She said she looks forward to "receiving a new heart. A heart that is not prone to wander or leave the God she loves." Oh yes, that is what I am looking forward to as well. In heaven there is no more sin to separate me from Jesus.

I wonder what Heaven will be like...I know it will be better than anything this feeble mind of mine can conjure up. So, I look forward to it with my heart and my mind focused on Him. I want to be with Jesus and I am ready rid my life of sin.........."Come quickly, Lord Jesus, come!"

You know I love ya, Don

No comments: