Easter - 2018

Monday, July 27, 2009

Crowd of Witnesses


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" Hebrews 12:1

In this text, I can see Paul imagining a great Roman Stadium, maybe even the Colosseum. I can see the Holy Spirit guiding Paul's words, illustrating sportsmanship and endurance. Illustrating to us the discipline, dedication, and passion that is necessary to achieve Godliness, holiness, and righteousness. I can feel the heat and burn of the muscles as they work with sweat and tears. There is also the challenger that is pulling at me and flesh that is holding me back. This is such a hard race....

But then, there is a large crowd. Enormous crowd! Cheering! Shouting! Chanting my name! I take my eyes off the course for a split second and the reality sets in....in that crowd is My Dad, My Grandma, My Grandpa, all the friends and loved ones that have gone home to be with the Lord. They have finished the race and are in the stands cheering for me....for me. It is my turn to win. It is my turn to please the King. Then I see Him....it is Jesus....He is standing at the end of the race with His arms open wide!

It makes it worth getting out of bed and pressing forward....because He lives it will be worth it all! You know I love ya - a fellow racer!

No comments: