Easter - 2018

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Making People Thirst - Salt pt. 3


An old farmer was in a west Texas church when the guest preacher was preaching and carrying on. The preacher yelled out, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” After the service was over the preacher was in the back of the church when the old farmer came up to him and said, “You were wrong!” The preacher was a bit startled and taken back and then said to the farmer, “How so?” The farmer looked the preacher in the eye and said, “You can make a horse drink…feed the horse salt!”


We like to eat Chinese food. About two hours after I eat and get home, I find that I get thirsty and need some…a great deal of water…Soy Sauce is filled with salt. Look at verse 50 of Mark 9…“Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with each other.” Being at peace with each other is something this world thirsts for beyond measure.


When Jesus was on the Cross, he had been beaten, he had a crown of thorns pressed into his skull, and they had driven nails in his hands and feet. The blood and sweat were dripping off him.


God turns his eye away from Jesus, His Son, in order to pay the price for my sin. Jesus calls out, “I thirst.” I am sure he was dry mouth, but I also see a new view of what Jesus thirty for…Jesus thirst for his Father in heaven.


When our two month old, Nicholas Mark, died in January, I learned a new aspect of thirst. I will always thirst for Nicholas as my son until the day I see him again in Heaven. Jesus was thirsty for His heavenly Father.


When we are the salt of the earth, people should see our lives preserve others, bring heighten taste to daily living and cause people to THIRST for Jesus.


Let me ask you, “Do people thirst for Jesus when you are around?” Does your family, friends, and relationships say, I want what they have.” The Apostle Paul put it this way:


1 Corinthians 9:19-23, “Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.”


Do people thirst for God because of you, so that the lost can be won to Jesus?


It is my prayer to be so salty for Jesus, that others that I have the honor of knowing and meeting, thirst for Jesus. Would you join me in Preserving, Enhancing Flavor, and Causing Thirst because we are the salt of the earth? You know I love ya, Don

No comments: