Easter - 2018

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Getting Away from Myself!

Jesus said, "I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth." -John 14:16-17 (NRSV)

As I spend the summer with Jesus. I am discovering a renewed awareness of things my bias and self-inflated worth tends to cover up. Such as: on some days my thoughts and actions are so un-Christian that I wish I could somehow get away from myself. I'm impatient with others, discontent with my lot, complaining, and in short, just not much fun to be with. I recently had one of those days when I think, "How does the Holy Spirit put up with me?"

God knows me perfectly -- my every flaw, every sin, every thought, and worst of all, every motive. No one else knows me that completely.

The psalmist recognized our flawed nature and God's response in writing kind Psalm 103:13-14 which says, "As a father has compassion for his children, so the Lord has compassion for those who fear him. For he knows how we were made; he remembers that we are dust" (NIV).

I'm thankful that within me lives One who knows the depth of my rebellion and still never lets me go. I can be sure of that because Jesus asked the Father to give me -- and you -- the Holy Spirit forever. And whatever our Lord requests, God is certain to give. My response is to be quiet and to listen. There in lies key to Christian discernment...listening and doing "something" to bring awareness of His power and revelation in our lives.

You know I love ya, Don

No comments: