Easter - 2018

Monday, December 20, 2010

And that's why there's a Christmas Day!

When I was growing up, Lloyd Menning was our preacher at Church of the Cross in Modesto, CA. I remember a Christmas morning worship service and he had all the children come forward. I was about nine or ten years old. He asked us many of us if we knew why there was a Christmas?

We answered with the many typical answers; Jesus, presents, food... Then Pastor Lloyd began to sing this song:

"C" is for the Christ Child born upon this day;
"H" for herald angels in the night.
"R" means our Redeemer;
"I" means Israel;
"S" is for the star that shone so bright.
"T" is for the three wise men, They who travelled far.
"M" is for the manger where He lay.
"A" is for all He stands for;
"S" means shepherds came, And that's why there's a Christmas Day.

"T" is for the three wise men,
They who travelled far.
"M" is for the manger where He lay.
"A" is for all He stands for;
"S" means shepherds came, And that's why there's a Christmas Day.

And that's why there's a Christmas Day...I have never forgotten that moment. I was touched and still recalled its effect on me.

Today, as an adult that is in the profession of ministry, I wonder if he truly knew how much he touched me or for matter how many people God was touching through him. I have since asked him and his answer 20 years later was, "I was praying God was and worked to present the message, but truly did not know it at the time. It is nice to know it now."

I agree, many times we don't know it at the time and we rarely get to see its results. I am thankful for an true man of God that sang a beautiful song on a simple Christmas day and I rejoice in the opportunity and honor to following in his example.

Merry Christmas! You know I love ya, Don

2 comments:

Faith Jackson said...

My mother used to sing this to me. The intro goes like this:

When I was but a youngster,
Christmas meant one thing,
That I'd be getting lots of toys that day,
I learned a whole lot different,
When Mother sat me down,
And taught me to spell Christmas THIS way:

C is for, etc.

I am now teaching Lindsay this song. She wants to hear it every night at bedtime, and loves to sing the song that Grandma's mother taught Grandma! Precious memories!!

Don Crane said...

Awesome! Merry Christmas to you and the Jackson family.