Easter - 2018

Monday, December 22, 2008

Afraid at Christmas - Courage

"And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.” - Luke 2:8-11

I wonder if I would be afraid if I was sitting out in the fields and an angel appeared out of no where and told me to not be afraid and then a whole multitude of angels appeared and started chanting and singing....I wonder.

Growing up in the city, I probably would have been afraid just being out in the fields. Anyone that knows me understands I can kill bugs, rats, and snakes....but not Crickets (the Japanese Camel Crickets - not the black ones). We did not have these crickets in CA and thankfully not in Indiana either. Or what about the other wild animals? I probably would have been afraid of these things as a shepherd. I probably would have been afraid of losing a sheep during the night as well. So, I would have been awake making sure all was in check and accounted for. I probably would have been afraid of getting cold...so I would check the fire over and over...there was no plumbing and I am not even going to go there...the reality is I am not a shepherd.

If I had been a shepherd, the wilds of the fields would have not scared me. My point is that, yes the shepherds were labeled as the least of these, but they were filled with courage and grit! It is also significant to mention that Jesus was born to BE the Lamb of God. Jesus is also known as the Shepherd of this Flock, the Church. It is the true character of a shepherd to not be afraid...this must be why they said to themselves..."let us go and see this thing that has been revealed to us." The Lord knows, I would have been too busy running from the crickets to even notice the angels.

As we celebrate Christmas, may there be a little more shepherd in each of us.
You know I love ya-four days until Christmas - Don

2 comments:

Faith Jackson said...

I well remember your reaction to crickets! And picturing you as a shepherd brings a smile to my face. That's why God has placed you where you are, my friend. Isn't His timing and placement for each of us an awesome thing? Hallelujah! Merry Christmas to you, Karen, Matthew, and Alice!

Don Crane said...

Thank You...I am glad He knows me best. Merry Christmas to you and Bill as well. You know we love ya, Don