Easter - 2018

Monday, August 29, 2011

High Places!


Philippians 2:9 "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name."

Have you ever stood on the top of a very high place. I have several memories of high places. One was over looking the Grand Canyon. Other is looking through a clearing at a cascade in the Smoky Mountains. I also recall hiking to the top of the Chimney's in the Smoky Mountain Park with Josh Petlitzer. I have memories of standing on a bridge and over looking a great river flowing underneath and looking out of an observation deck in a high rise in in San Diego, CA and New York City.

There was something special about the high places. It was a little frightening. Heights don't usually both me, but being up high is not a normal place for me to be. My legs get a little shaky and I try to find a balance to hold to. I need an additional balance because my senses were telling me that I was up high and not in a typical location for me to be.

Another attribute that each of these place had was that I could see out. The memory I have is that it was clear and that I could see forever. Even on the bridge and it was a little foggy, I could see. I could also be seen. I remember people looking up at us on the Chimney's in the Smokies starting their trek up the tall mountain. There is was small clearing an they were looking up at us and we were looking down at them. They waved their arms at us and we waved our arms back at them. They could see us....

Jesus had the attitude to be a servant and was willing to work for the others best interest. He was even willing to go to the Cross in our place because He was thinking of our best interest. God responded to this attitude. God responded to this action and willingness to serve. God lifted Jesus to the highest place and gave him a high place. In the high place, everyone can see Him. The key is to take our eyes off of ourselves and our low places and look in His direction. It is a direction of service and thinking of others first. It is then we look up and see Jesus lifted up and God praised. It is a little frightening and doesn't feel as natural as it should, but the place is an awesome view and we are testimonial views for God.

"Dear God, help me to see beyond myself and look up on the high place the great servant lifted up. My I follow His example and please you with faith and action that seeks the well being of others. Please make me a Christ-follower that seeks to bring you and you alone glory! Amen"

You know I love ya, Don

2 comments:

Glenda said...

I truly am aspiring to have a "high places" spirit and attitude even when I am in the valleys. Thanks for this blog AND for the song that accompanied it.-- Glenda

Don Crane said...

Glenda, You have always had a "High Places" attitude since I have known you. Thank you for sharing it with us.