Easter - 2018

Monday, April 19, 2010

Authentic Prayer

Have you ever heard The Yuppie's Prayer? It goes like this. "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray my e-mail to keep. I pray my stocks are on the rise and that my therapist is wise. That all the wine I sip is white and that my hot tub is water tight. That racket ball won't get too tough and that my sushi's fresh enough. I pray my cell phone always works, and that my career won't lose its perks. That my microwave won't radiate and my condo won't depreciate. I pray my health club doesn't close and that my Money Market always grows. And if I die before I wake, I pray my Lexus they won't take."

That's kind of a trite silly prayer, but one that in some form or another is probably prayed by a whole lot of folks. But when we talk about prayer, we're not just talking about prayer in general, we're not talking about the Yuppie's prayer, we're talking about authentic prayer. If a group of believers are to continue to be a faithful congregation, then we, as true believers need to be a praying congregation. Everything that we do needs to be preceded, and under girded, and then followed up by prayer. Everything needs to be bathed in prayer.

Jesus says "But when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. They love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. When you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father who is unseen. Then your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them. For your Father knows what you need before you ask Him."

The fact is that everyone prays. You don't have to be a believer to pray. Listen to the people around you during the week. Crisis hits somebody's life, and during their normal life they might not even give God the time of day, but boy, crisis hits and they hit that "Spiritual 911" button. "Oh God, help me!" Listen to other people around you: G-D this, G-D that. That's prayer. It's asking God to cast into hell whoever or whatever. Or some people seem to begin to pray but never finish. Jee-sus Christ. "Yes, go on, what did you want to talk with me about?" You don't have to be a believer to pray, everyone prays. Jesus assumes that. Look at the words above...He doesn't say "if you pray" he says "when you pray." Everyone prays. But the questions is this, the issue is not prayer. The issue is whether your prayers and my prayers are authentic or not.

I am learning this with a new appreciation. I am excited with the life applications of prayer that our Preacher, Dave Woods, is implementing in Solid Ground services. Yesterday was amazing. We encouraged each other. We were angels of mercy for each other and truly experienced the presence of God. His Spirit was energizing and restoring us to face a week of the world. It was amazing!

As we continue to learn about prayer, study God's Word concerning prayer, and watch for His answers...I want you to know that I am praying for you. I pray His blessings on you today! You know I love ya - Don

No comments: