Easter - 2018

Monday, May 11, 2009

Beautiful, Gorgeous, Attractive...what?

He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. - Isaiah 53:2 (Bible Gateway)

There is a great deal of emphasis in our society on looks. Every other channel is an infomercial on weight loss or skin care or some other improvement pill. People seemed to be so worried about how they look. I have also noticed that we respond to people differently depending on how they look. There is truth in your first impression.

It is said that with in your first three sentences you have been evaluated by your listener. (First impressions) What does that say about the actions of a Christ-follower? It should say that we look to Christ's example...He has no beauty or majesty and nothing in His appearance that would draw us to desire Him. Yet, after His resurrection and the transformation He makes in people's lives, He becomes the most attractive desire we have. We should look beyond the physical and minister to the heart, soul, mind, and strength.

What does this truth say about my actions? I need to work on my health and looks because the world will judge me in how I take care of myself. I need to also put my Jesus glasses on and NOT fall into the trap of being Jesus' only to those who meet my preconceived notion of what is attractive.

"Almighty God, Help me to see the world around me as you see the world. Please help me not to focus on looks, but to focus on the heart and the eternal. You are a great God and it is a joy to serve. May I never take advantage of you or your attraction. You know I love you, Jesus. Amen."

You know I love you too. - Don

4 comments:

Steph said...

Fantastic post Don! I enjoyed reading it very much :)

Don Crane said...

You are welcome...I am very proud to know you and read your blogs often. You are a treasured friend. Thank you.

IzzyBeth said...

Wow. That is a good one.

Don Crane said...

Thank you.