Easter - 2018

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Characteristic of God is that He is NEAR!


Psalm 75:1 - “We give thanks, for your Name is near …”
 
Remember when this was written, God’s presence was in the tabernacle followed by the Temple. Even in the Old Testament, we see that God does not simply dwell in a structure … the very mention of His name and He is near.
 
How do you know when something is near or close? Your senses tell that you are near something or close to something. When I am close to boiling water, I can see the bubbles, watch the steam and I can put my hand up and feel the heat on the palm of my hand. When I am close to a light bulb, I can see the light, but I can also feel it. When I am close to a campfire, I can see it and I can smell it and I can usually hear it. The same is true of the close character of God … I have to choose to use my senses.
 
When I neglect my senses, I get burned by the boiling water, I stumble around in the dark, and I can start a forest fire by neglecting the campfire…When we neglect the close character of God, we stumble and we become afraid …we allow fear takes control of our situation.
 
Corrie ten Boom said, “When a train goes through a tunnel and it get gets dark, you don’t throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.”
 
Psalm 75 is teaching us to sit still and trust God because he is close, he is near … It is in God’s Character to be near!
 
I am so grateful for the nearness of God. You know I love ya, Don

No comments: