Easter - 2018

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Character....I want it!

Character is the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual.
President Abraham Lincoln is considered one of the best President's in all of American History. His character stands out and above in the waves of despair during the civil war. He was a man of faith, principle and of Character.

One day, President Abraham Lincoln was riding in a coach with a colonel from Kentucky. The colonel took a bottle of whiskey out of his pocket. He offered Lincoln a drink. Lincoln said, “No thank you, Colonel. I never drink whiskey.” After a little while, the colonel took some cigars out of his pocket and offered one to Lincoln. Again Lincoln said, “No, thank you, Colonel.” Then Lincoln said, “I want to tell you a story.” The president was always telling a story.

He said, “One day, when I was about nine years old, my mother called me to her bed. She was very sick. She said, ‘Abe, the doctor tells me that I am not going to get well. I want you to be a good boy. I want you to promise me before I go that you will never use whiskey or tobacco as long as you live.’ I promised my mother that I never would, and up to this hour, I’ve kept this promise! Would you advise me to break that promise?”

The colonel put his hand on Lincoln’s shoulder and said, “Mr. Lincoln, I would not have you break that promise for the world! It is one of the best promises you ever made. I would give a thousand dollars today if I had made my mother a promise like that and had kept it like you have done. I would be a much better man than I am!” (Martin M. Hyzer, 15K-WS)  
That is Character.

How a Christian deals with the circumstances of their life speaks of their character.
  • Crisis doesn’t necessarily make character, but perseverance through it does reveal character.
  • Adversity in our lives is a crossroads where a person chooses one path – Character or Compromise.
  • Jesus and the Cross are the ultimate example of character.
  • Every time we choose character, we grow more into the image of Christ
  • Character is who you are when no one is looking. 
  • People that always seem to be at war with themselves have a problem in their character.
  • Your character determines who you are.
I am seeking God in every opportunity so as to demonstrate His character in my life. You know I love ya, Don

No comments: