Easter - 2018

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Holding on to be "Set Free"


"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." - John 8:32

Truth...what is truth? Men and women have been asking this question through the ages. Pilot asked Jesus this same question at the trial. Dictionary.com states truth as, "Verified Absolute Fact."

Did you know that in 1828 Noah Webster's dictionary gave this as an example when defining truth: "to rely on the truth of spiritual prophecies." Webster seemed to think that spiritual prophecies were based on truth. Today, the many people in the world believe truth to be relative. They feel each person can have their own version of the truth - that there is no ONE truth out there.

Jesus said he came to bear witness and to affirm the truth. What truth was He talking about? In the book of John alone, truth is mentioned 50 times. It seems like it was important to Him and that it should be important to us.

We as Christians are to believe that The Word of God is Truth. And according to the definition of the word truth, we are to view the Bible as fact and reality. The scriptures are God revealing Himself to us. Thus, the ancient texts are revelation of God in Jesus. Jesus is the truth along with the teachings He brought to reality and the teachings of the prophets before Him. When Jesus said to know the truth and the truth will set us free, He was pointing at Himself. Jesus is God revealed.

I wonder how many Christians "know" the truth? Knowing and being aware are two very different things. I am aware of President Obama, yet I do not know Him. I am aware of the African continent, but I do not know it. I am aware of skydiving, but I have never experienced it. Every Christ-follower can "know" Jesus. God can be known beyond being aware of Jesus. He desires a relationship with us. Thus, in the knowing Jesus a person can be set free.

"All knowing God, thank you for the revelation and the scriptures that bring life. Thank you for allowing me the freedom to live in a country that allows me to study the texts freely. Please help me to treasure the truth and know You in a way others will see you in me. Amen."

I know and I am set free...you know I love ya, Don


No comments: