Easter - 2018

Monday, April 4, 2011

Wait Until Then...

A vision for the appointed time ... speaks of the end. ... If it seems to tarry, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay. -Habakkuk 2:3 (NRSV)

What is it mean to say soon? Yulia G. Bagwell of Pennsylvania, USA wrote:

After my first semester in seminary in the U.S.A., I returned to my homeland, Ukraine, for a visit. Upon leaving, I told my family that I would return again soon. Each of us had a different understanding of "soon" -- in six months, in a year, after graduation. But no one really thought that my second return would take so long. Six years have passed, but I have not been home again yet.

When my parents heard that I had finally received permanent-resident status in the U.S.A., they expected me to come home at any moment. In preparation for my expected arrival, they make sure they have a good provision of everything. Their waiting is so intense. Every time they hear a car passing by their house, they hope it is me arriving. But it is not. "Maybe tomorrow," they say.

In Acts 1:11 we read about Jesus leaving his disciples. They believed he would be back soon. In 1 Thessalonians Paul praises the believers in Thessalonica for their deeds of love while waiting for Christ's second coming. How many more saints have been waiting for Jesus' return during the past 2,000 years! As we still wait, we serve Christ in those around us, while saying, "Come, Lord Jesus, come!"

I feel I am in a waiting room. What is next in the marching orders from God? Another way of saying it is that I am living in my Saturday. On Friday, the Lord Died. On Sunday, He rose again. Yet, on Saturday everyone had to wait. I am finding many people live in a Saturday mentality. Always looking for Sunday to come. I am one of those people, waiting to get beyond grief and looking to have new insight into what is to come.

So, until then I cling to the hope that is gained in faith and belief in a resurrected Lord. I also seek to find every joy in the moment of today and the time of waiting. You know I love ya, Don


No comments: