Easter - 2018

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Comforter in our Sorrow!

Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve. . . . But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD. -Joshua 24:15 (NIV)

There is so much sorrow in the this world. We experience it everyday, sometimes in a closer reality than others, but it is there. Why? Because we live in a fallen world. Filled with personal sin that so easily entangles us and separates us from the God and Savior that loves us so much.

Sandra Kirkland writes:

AS a home health nurse, I am privileged to provide care for people who are desperately ill. One of my patients is a 92-year-old man whose worn-out heart continues to work only because of the intravenous medication I administer every day. Another patient is a 32-year-old quadriplegic who struggles with frequent infections. And then there is an 86-year-old who has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

While I was driving home after a long, tiring day, I thought about the people I had seen and felt the weight of their sorrow. But as I drove, I looked out at a moonlit sky; the moon was bright and beautiful. In the midst of my concern, the Holy Spirit said to me: "Yes, there is terrible sorrow, but I am there also, to bring joy." I saw that it is the Spirit who inspires the old man's grandchildren to bring him the fresh catfish he loves so much. It is the Spirit who moves the friends of the quadriplegic to take him on the outings he enjoys. It was the Spirit who brought the cancer patient and his loving wife together. The Holy Spirit is the joy in the midst of their sorrow.

I appreciate Sandra's words. It is the Spirit of a Mighty God that carries us, gives us strength, and comforts us in our deepest sorrows. I know I could not be the person I am without the Spirit. Join me today in giving thanks for such a comforter. You know I love ya, Don

1 comment:

Faith Jackson said...

What a blessing you are! May God's comfort wrap you like a blanket (I think I remember something about you sleeping with a blanket wrapped around your head?). His peace is wondrous, isn't it? Love ya,

Faith