Easter - 2018

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Seeking Direction

Ask in faith, never doubting. - James 1:6 (NRSV)

Carolyn Schemahorn of Missouri, USA wrote:

For his birthday, our young grandson Camden received a toy helicopter with "some assembly required." After his grandpa put it together, the toy would not fly. Then I tried, and his mother gave it a whirl. Still, no flying helicopter.

While each of us worked hard, Camden stood by, watching. Finally, in a calm, matter-of-fact voice he said, "Maybe we should read the directions." Hearing his words, we laughed out loud.

At that moment, our daughter assured him, "When your father gets home, he will put it together for you." Sure enough, that is just what happened.

What makes us attempt to do something without clear direction? Pride and a false sense of self-reliance may keep us from taking advantage of help that is available to us.

My thoughts went to the many times I have tried to do something on my own without reading God's directions given in the Bible. Rather, desiring to know what God wants me to do, I must seek in faith, not with a doubting mind. (See James 1:5-6.) When I read God's word and then pray, asking for guidance and wisdom, God gives them freely.

I couldn't agree more - standing in faith on the Rock, Don

No comments: