Easter - 2018

Monday, May 24, 2010

Coexist - only in Christ!

A great multitude ... from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages ... cried out in a loud voice, saying, "Salvation belongs to our God ... and to the Lamb!" -Revelation 7:9-10 (NRSV)

I saw that bumper sticker again. You know the one that states "coexist." It uses the symbols of the world religions to make up the word. There is only one way to return to a living relationship with Almighty Jehovah God and that is through Jesus Christ. Christ-followers could be more open to coexist with each other. We need to speak where the Bible speaks, be silent where the Bible is silent, and in all things demonstrate love. It is then the world may understand what it is to truly coexist.

POLYPHONY is a musical term. The word literally means "many sounds." In polyphony, voices or instruments move independently but work together around a constant central theme. Musician and theologian Jeremy Begbie talks about "Pentecostal polyphony." He describes Christ crucified and risen as the constant center around which the Holy Spirit weaves our diverse lives into a harmonic community called the Body of Christ. Within this community, the Spirit binds our lives together in the love of God.

Here's my version of that: There are no solo performers in the Body of Christ. We can't live singing "I Did It My Way" and still claim to be a follower of Jesus. We find out who we are and discover our unique "song" as our lives are woven into the lives of others in the love of Christ. Dr. E. Stanley Jones often said, "Everyone who belongs to Christ belongs to everyone who belongs to Christ."

What happened at Pentecost is a living portrait of what God intends for all of creation: many voices, from all nations, races and cultures, singing together in a triumphant song of praise to God (Rev. 7:9-17). In contrast to the world's racism, jingoism, prejudice, hatred and war, each of us is called to help form God's church into a unified body that sings God's song in all we do.

We coexist in Christ and then we truly share in the abundant life He gives...You know I love ya, Don

2 comments:

Faith Jackson said...

Don, I look forward to your blog each week, but I also have found so much inspiration and just plain "good stuff" by reading the blogs you read regularly. I feel like I have a whole new set of friends! Another reason I'm so glad to be part of the family of God. Thanks!

Did you get my response about Homecoming? Please let me know any particulars you may have.

In Him,
Faith

Don Crane said...

Hello again,

Thank you.

Yes, We are having church computer issues. I will try and respond with my home computer. My email address is dcrane@parkchapel.org. I am glad you are in for Homecoming. More details forth coming.

Don