Easter - 2018

Monday, February 28, 2011

The Waiting Room!


All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. -Romans 8:14 (NRSV)

Since Nicholas' passing, I feel like we are in a waiting room for new hope. I recall scriptures of righteous men and women that waited on God. Job waited on God and questioned God. God responds with, "do you know what I know, I am still in control, just wait and I will show you my greatness." Or when Mary was pregnant with Jesus, God responds with a message, "You are blessed of all women" Then she endures ridicule and shame. Or even Abraham and his desire for a son, "God makes him wait 40 years."

To often, I'm afraid I expect God to speak only at certain times and in certain ways. "If God wants to speak, my morning devotional time is the opportunity or when I am in worship would be a optimal time," would seem to be my thinking. But what if God wants to speak through circumstances in the middle of my day? Will I be receptive or am I too busy waiting that I miss His answer and His touch?

I think of Elijah, someone in the Bible who had a predetermined idea of how God would communicate with him. Elijah had recently made a stand for God before 850 false prophets. Yet at the word of the wicked queen, Jezebel, Elijah fled to the wilderness, hoping to hear from God. He expected to hear God through some loud, calamitous event, listening for God in the fire, the wind, the earthquake - something spectacular. After all, that's how God spoke to Moses. But instead God spoke to Elijah in a still, small voice.

Our ears are often closed to the many ways God comes into our lives. We expect God to speak at certain times or in certain ways. But I am convinced that God is not concerned with clocks and calendars. God calls us to forget our time markers and cultivate sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's nudges, any time, any place.

I am praying for you. Please pray for us. We are waiting...we are still hurting...we love being parents and seek to be the best parents Matthew and Alice and Nicholas deserve...we want to please the Lord in all we are...we want to be a light to the darkness in this world...we want to hear His voice. You know we love ya, Don

No comments: