Easter - 2018

Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy New Year is a grateful New Year!

Teach us to number our days,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom. - Psalm 90:12

It is hard to believe that the first decade of this new millennium is already over. What a ten years it has been. I am thankful for the gains of children, new friendships, new ministries. I am also thankful for the new disappointments that have increased my reliance on a great a mighty God. I am reminded of what Lin Trantor wrote:

"I don't do any housework on New Year's Day," my aunt said, "because what you do on New Year's Day, you'll do all year." When I was young, I thought my aunt had the right idea. I didn't like housework, and so on January 1st I tried to do only the things I enjoyed.

Over the years, as I cared for my family and began to cultivate a more grateful attitude, I decided that doing some housework on New Year's Day would be a good way to begin the year. Washing dishes reminds me to be thankful for the food God has provided in the preceding year and to anticipate all that God will provide in the future. When I do the laundry, I remember to give thanks for warm clothes in the winter. Cleaning house helps me to be grateful for the shelter of a home and reminds me to give thanks for family and friends who are welcome visitors. With each of my New Year's Day chores, I find reason to give thanks.

When I pray on New Year's Day, expressing thanks for all that God provides, I hope the saying is true: What you do on New Year's Day, you'll do all year.

My grandmother was one of my losses in the last 10 years. I truly miss her and her ability to always give me a boost. She also would recite the saying of whatever you do on New Year's you will do all year long...the legacy lives on because my mother says it now.

In 2011, I want to be known as a servant, a follower of Christ, and one that is thankful for that which we have. With this mind set, I think it will be a good year, regardless of the joys or challenges.

Happy New Year to you and may the next year bring you all you desire and need. You know I love ya, Don

No comments: