Easter - 2018

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Unify...unity....joined....together!

Recently, I have had a many discussion about unity in families, in relationships, and in the church. It brought to mind the text from Ephesians 2:14-17
 For he himself (Jesus) is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

 Jill Brice writes:
--> 
If the middle wall of partition has indeed been broken down by the death of Christ, why then do so many people inside the kingdom still meet a stone wall where true fellowship is concerned? Why does the wall still divide black and white, rich and poor, those with social status and those without? I believe it is because Christians have not been taught that the basis of their unity is belonging.
Unity begins when we get our theology straight. If the wall has been broken down and yet the wall is still there, it is because someone has been busy building it up again! What is a wall? It’s a barrier – something that includes others and excludes you. We sense it, though it be unseen, between people inside the church. We see different factions with religious and personal differences. Yet our unity is in belonging. For through Him we all have access by one Spirit unto the Father. He sees all of us kneeling down at our bedsides at the end of the day!
I must tell Jesus, “The wall will not be built by my hands!” I must not be a builder of walls. I must lay down my trowel and use my hands rather to reach out to my brother and sister in love. I need to keep acting as if the barrier isn’t there; I need to walk through it and speak into years of silence. I must write another letter and extend another dinner invitation. I must do what I can to make sure others know I believe in belonging!
I could not agree with Jill more...we must strive to remove the barriers that hinder relationships. In fact, it is our duty to live for the goal of loving God, loving each other, and loving life. 
You know I love ya, Don
If the middle wall of partition has indeed been broken down by the death of Christ (see Eph. 2:13-14), why then do so many people inside the kingdom still meet a stone wall where true fellowship is concerned?  Why does the wall still divide black and white, rich and poor, those with social status and those without?  I believe it is because Christians have not been taught that the basis of their unity is belonging.
Unity begins when we get our theology straight.  If the wall has been broken down and yet the wall is still there, it is because someone has been busy building it up again!  What is a wall?  It’s a barrier – something that includes others and excludes you.  We sense it, though it be unseen, between people inside the church.  We see different factions with religious and personal differences.  Yet our unity is in belonging.  For through Him we all have access by one Spirit unto the Father.  He sees all of us kneeling down at our bedsides at the end of the day! 
I must tell Jesus, “The wall will not be built by my hands!”  I must not be a builder of walls.  I must lay down my trowel and use my hands rather to reach out to my brother and sister in love.  I need to keep acting as if the barrier isn’t there; I need to walk through it and speak into years of silence.  I must write another letter and extend another dinner invitation.  I must do what I can to make sure others know I believe in belonging!
- See more at: http://justbetweenus.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=105816#sthash.Elfiw8lH.dpuf
And that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.  ~ Ephesians 2:16 - See more at: http://justbetweenus.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=105816#sthash.Elfiw8lH.dpuf
And that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity.  ~ Ephesians 2:16 - See more at: http://justbetweenus.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=105816#sthash.Elfiw8lH.dpuf

No comments: