Easter - 2018

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Making Life Easier


Jesus said, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle." -Matthew 11:29 (NRSV)

On Monday night, I saw an amazing pair of oxen and their young handler at work on TV. This young man had reared the oxen from calves and spent countless hours training them. I sensed a special bond between the handler and his team.

Most teams of oxen are handled by two assistants because the animals become so excited that they start pulling even before they are hitched to the weight. This young handler, however, worked alone. The oxen waited patiently to hear his command; when it came, they made a terrific pull. "Look at that," exclaimed the announcer. "He doesn't have to drive them! He simply asks them to pull!" While other handlers sometimes used whips and harsh words, it took only a few gentle words from this young man for the animals to pull for him.

Christ is like that handler. Seeing the oxen yoked together, I understood more completely what Jesus meant when he said his yoke is easy and his burden is light. Christ is patient with us. He knows that we are capable of much good. Because Christ's voice is gentle, we need not be afraid. When he calls, we can respond out of love, allowing him to guide us. Because Jesus cares for us, our burden is light.

Sharing our yoke with Jesus makes this life of hope possible. I pray for you often. You know I love ya, Don

No comments: