Easter - 2018

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Susan June Crane - My Grandma's legacy

Today my Father's Mother, Susan June Johnson Crane, would have been 74 years old. I called her Grandma. She was a very special lady in my life. I have been blessed with several special ladies in my life. My Mother, my wife, my sister, my Grandma Lupe, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, my organ teacher, my piano teacher, my accompanists, and many other woman have blessed me and my walk with the Lord.

My Grandma and I were very close. I am not sure what it was, but we shared cookies, Star Trek, Old Movies, Perry Mason reruns, Square Dancing, Church, music, and Jesus.

As Mike said in his sermons Sunday, "When your Grandma starts praying for you, you might as well give in." I believe that is true. Grandma died earlier than she should have. She had diabetes at a time there was not the information we have today. Loosing my dad was very hard for her. Then I watched over the next 12 years this dear woman, whom I loved, fade into dialysis, heart attacks, and almost nothing. With all of that there was always a smile in her voice when we talked and a smile in her heart when we were together.

She loved Jesus and grew closer to him in each of her struggles. I will never forget one of the final conversations that I shared with my Grandma. She had lost a leg and was in bed a great deal of the time. She worried about my Grandpa having to carry her so much, so she said she would just lay in bed and pray and spend time with God. She told me how God inhabits the praises of His people, so she would just pray and praise and He would be with her and comfort her. I know He did and I will never forget that conversation on the phone with 2000 miles between us and the Spirit uniting us together.

There is not enough room in this blog to write how much she taught me, but I know this much...My Grandma taught me to love life and cherish every minute. Life and minutes are precious and don't last. So, embrace ever chance you get. I will always be grateful for a woman who cherished me and let me know it by the legacy she left behind.

"Happy Birthday Grandma, you will always be in my heart." - Don

No comments: