Easter - 2018

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thanksgiving!


How often do you say the phrase “Thank You”? (If you are like me, probably not enough.)

When you receive a gift? When you get that new iPod or computer game or special something you’ve been hoping for? When somebody compliments you on your musical ability or athletic skills or talents or achievements?

We are taught to be thankful for all the wonderful things that have been given to us.

But sometimes I wonder...If all those things were taken away from us, would we still be thankful? Would we still rejoice in God, even if nobody buys us stuff or notices how talented and athletic and hard working we are? Would we still say, “Thank you”?

The prophet Habakkuk lived in a time of great devastation...There was war, there was economic decline, and he was living under a culture that hated God. He had every reason to be upset and not be thank-ful. And yet, he wrote these great words:

“Though the fig tree does not blossom, and no fruit is on the vines; and though the produce fails and the fields yield no good food...yet I will rejoice in the Lord.” (Hab 3:17-18)

A modern version of that might go like this: “Even when I don’t get all the praise and all the stuff that I think I deserve...I will still be thankful for all that God has done.”

I am thankful for you, I truly mean that...you know I love ya, Don

No comments: